Sunday, December 11, 2011

Journey of healing. Week 1.

So, my last post was obviously a major downer. I mean, am I right or am I right? Self discovery is a good thing, especially if you realize that you have a problem during said self discovery.
I've gone back and forth about how appropriate it would or wouldn't be to post about what I'm going through right now. If I'm being real with you, though it may seem like I'm totally an open book, there are still many things that I do keep to myself. I don't always mind when what I have to say is offensive. I don't always mind when what I say makes people uncomfortable. But believe it or not, I do have boundaries when it comes to the more serious things. But, because this is such a serious thing for me, I'm hoping that as I write/journal about my experiences, maybe it can help someone else. I do realize that not everyone struggles with the same issues, and I also realize that not everyone is aware they even have issues. Shoot, it's taken me many, many years to understand that I have a problem. Unfortunately, it's taken me hitting a wall to realize the problem, and now it's bad. That is sad. Maybe someone, somewhere, can read this blog and feel like they relate on some level, and realize that there is room to go up from here.
I've been pretty sad lately. Without diving into all the details, and without slamming down scenario after scenario for you to read through (that could take forever and a year-monger), and briefly summarize: I've been pretty sad lately. These are the things that make me sad:
1) Getting dressed. I've become very aware of my overweight figure, particularly my midsection. Getting dressed reminds me that I'm no longer at the stage where I can hide the little bit of fat collected around my belly anymore with a lose shirt or a tight under shirt to squeeze it all in. My curves have gotten large enough to where they can't be hidden. This is exponentially depressing.
2) Lifting up my shirt to nurse. My belly is exposed, and makes me self conscious. It saddens me that THAT is was I'm focusing on during such special moments between me and my son. I rarely nurse without a blanket around. Sometimes I even steal my sons blankey to cover myself up.
3) Not getting dressed. It's a lose lose. I can't dress up, I can't stay in pjs, because either way I'm letting myself down physically.
4) Walking through the house naked. I used to do this freely. Now, I've convinced myself that surely my husband doesn't need to see me too frequently sporting my birthday suit. He never says a negative word to me. But I view myself so negatively that I've convinced myself that I'm just as disgusting in others' eyes.
5) Bath time with Kenz. She first discovered my belly when I was pregnant. Before that, it wasn't big enough to be noticed, really. She understands that I'm not pregnant anymore, but doesn't understand why my stomach is still big. She likes to pat it. This is depressing.
The list could go on. These are normal day to day things that I experience that remind me of my unhappiness.
Two weeks ago (or so) I was at my mom and dads house. I was talking with one of my sister's during some quiet time while the kids and others were napping. We have always been able to relate when it comes to body image issues. In fact, I have this in common with all of my sisters. Anyway, we started out talking about HER issues, and somewhere along the line, my parents joined in on the discussion and WENDY (me) was the one crying bitterly like a baby in a poopy diaper. I was opening up about my self loathing. Everyone was offering their two cents, my sister was nodding her head in understanding (since she feels much the same way - or has felt the same way at one point or another).
Recently, we've all been taking turns attending the addiction recovery meetings with my brother, who is an addict. He's been an addict for about 8 years, I think, became sober around 2004, and recently fell victim to the disease again. Anyway, I haven't yet taken a turn, but my mom has. I bring this up, because she suggested that I attend a meeting for my own benefit. I had shot the idea back and forth for a while. Maybe even for a year. But I became pregnant, and decided that it wasn't the right time (looking back, I should have started it when I felt like I should even while pregnant). Anyway, I was encouraged to go to the meeting, give it a shot, and see how I felt afterwards.
Last sunday was my first time with ARP. I went feeling a little nervous, but when you really hate yourself, and you know how important it is to love yourself, you'll do anything you need to do to get on track again. The meeting was just what I needed. Every day since then, all I've thought about was how I can't wait to go back again. It was important for me to realize that 1) I don't have such an unusual problem and 2) it was good to be reminded that I need to see myself through God's eyes. It will be a very difficult journey, as I try and transition to having more positive thoughts, and remembering that my worth isn't measured by a number on a scale. That said, I've also come to find that I am a food addict. I never really felt like food addiction was anything real. I mean come on, it's not an "addictive substance", it's food, for crying out loud. We need it to survive. But food is my drug. Like my brother, I have something I abuse to make me feel better. And sure, it's not as cut and dry as that. I don't sit down with a box of donuts and eat the whole thing. I don't go through drive thrus ten times a day and get five extra large numbers 2's. My issue is that I think about it constantly. When I'm stressed, I think about food cravings. "Ooooh, I think I'll make this for dinner." Or, "I need to put this this and this on my grocery list, because I really want to taste this!"...do you know what I'm saying? I push out the stress by obeying my cravings. It feels good to eat what I want. But it is bad for me, and I am more and more frequently obeying my desires. The numbers aren't increasing on the scale, but they sure aren't decreasing, and I NEED them to decrease, or I will hate myself more and more with each day. I already do.
So, back to the addiction recovery group. I listened to people share, and it was like I could have been saying everything they were saying. I am looking forward to following the 12 step program to recovery. It's not your normal 12 step program, like for Overeaters anonymous. It incorporates the atonement, and I KNOW that through the reminders of the atonement and using it as a tool during my recovery, I will be able to heal more quickly and more PURELY. I'm looking to heal from the inside out. I know that this is a good place for me, because for once I'm not thinking about how to fix how I look. I'm understand that if I fix how I feel about myself, it will have postive effects on me outwardly, as well.
I'm grateful to have the church in my life. It certainly is true that our Heavenly Father hasn't left us alone. The church is designed in all of its greatness to assist all of us through everything we experience - good and bad. I'm grateful that I have a venue to express my true feelings, to not feel judged, and to get help where I need it. I'm grateful for the boost that I've gotten just from the one meeting. I don't have a lot of hope - I do have a little. And if I heard one thing at the meeting, it's that all you need is a little hope, and recovery will come.
Looking forward to a journey of healing from the inside out.

5 comments:

  1. I've struggled with depression on and off my whole life. Last year I decided to do something about it and went to see a counselor. She says that happiness depends on our thoughts, what we choose to focus on. She taught me this "game" to play when I'm feeling down. It's called "I'm having a thought". You start by saying "I'm having a thought" and then you spit out whatever it is. If it's a positive thought you keep it, if it's a negative thought you close your eyes and picture yourself handing it over to Christ. You keep doing this process over and over until your thoughts are happy. It works, I promise. I've never been happier in my life since I started doing this. I know how you feel, about your body and everything. I'm right there with you. Decide to be happy and the weight loss will follow.

    If you want to read some of what she teaches, here's her blog: http://onlyathought.thought-choice.com/

    She has a website as well: http://www.valeriedimick.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Wendy. I think everyone is always going through something-but not always brave enough to be open about it, or even think about it/realize it. I think you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you. Thank you for sharing with us. You can do this! You have lots of cheerleaders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you're most certainly no alone in what you're going through, and I'm so proud that you're taking steps to help you be happier. Guess what? No matter what size you are, you are one spectacular human being, and I just like you a lot. Take THAT! And keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy you are such an amazing person. I know you will feel better soon. I'm so glad you are seeking help! I'm here for you, cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete